Let’s talk about Podiatry, the study of the foot and ankle.
Podiatrists are some of the most hardworking, dedicated and amicable group of professionals that have devoted their lives to restoring proper health to the lower extremities. Podiatrists do so much: they treat conditions of the skin, nails, muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, nerves, etc. In a world where we are constantly in motion, we heavily rely on our feet to get us to our destination. For many of us, we have the capability to walk, jump and run all without questioning our limitations. However, there are hundreds of people that are incapable of performing these actions. These individuals suffer from continuous pain and even immobility; they face harsh daily struggles that most of us could never imagine.
Foot health is a very serious matter, and addition to taking care of your feet, you should consider podiatry as a choice for your future medical profession; it certainly changed our lives, and I know it could do the same for you!
Learn Podiatry. Practice Podiatry. Live Podiatry.
2. Foot & Ankle Specialists
In the U.S., Studying for your D.P.M., or Doctor of Podiatric Medicine is a four-year degree followed by three years of residency. You have to apply and be accepted by one of the 9 schools in order to begin the journey of becoming a foot and ankle surgeon. There are several schools across the country, it is up to you to find which one fits best for you.
In podiatry, you work on a patient’s foot, so there is no obstruction of face-to-face communication. You get to connect with your patient, understand their occupation, get a glimpse of their lifestyle, and hear about their hobbies in order to restore them to a full, healthy life.
There is so much variety! Surgery, biomechancis, and patients of all ages- you really get a scene of diversity in this field. There is nothing quite like this profession! It’s a unique fulfilling lifestyle, with a rewarding one-on-one patient experience.
3. The 9 Schools
- Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine at Midwestern University
- California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University
- Western University of Health Sciences – College of Podiatric Medicine
- Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
- Dr. William M. School College of Podiatric Medicine at Rosalind Franking University of Medicine and Science
- College of Podiatric Medicine & Surgery at Des Moines University
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
- Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
- Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine
4. The Education
5. Steps to Apply
Visit our Steps To Apply section to learn about internships, shadowing doctors, application process, national clubs, national organizations, magazines, and helpful websites.